[Samba] WINS and domain controller

Will Payne will at teambadger.co.uk
Thu Sep 29 14:30:19 GMT 2005

Hi,

Is there any way to 'administer' Samba's WINS database? I'm attempting to
get Samba to take over our NT servers' current functionality so that we
can ditch them entirely. I've enabled WINS support and told our DHCP
server to point at it. Is there any way of viewing it's database to see if
it's working?

Also, our XP boxes connect to a domain which is currently administered on
one of our NT boxes but I want Samba to take over this job. All our users
already exist as system users but I'm assuming I'll need to add them all
again using smbpasswd? And once they're set up, how can I set privileges?
Is there any way to set certain users as administrators?

Sorry if this is all documented somewhere but if it is, I can't find it..

Ta, Will