[Samba] WINS and domain controller

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Sep 29 16:54:58 GMT 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 03:30:19PM +0100, Will Payne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to 'administer' Samba's WINS database? I'm attempting to
> get Samba to take over our NT servers' current functionality so that we
> can ditch them entirely. I've enabled WINS support and told our DHCP
> server to point at it. Is there any way of viewing it's database to see if
> it's working?

That database in in plain text in wins.dat so it's easy to view. Currently
there aren't any good admin tools - I need to work on and fix that (thanks
for the reminder :-).

> Also, our XP boxes connect to a domain which is currently administered on
> one of our NT boxes but I want Samba to take over this job. All our users
> already exist as system users but I'm assuming I'll need to add them all
> again using smbpasswd? And once they're set up, how can I set privileges?
> Is there any way to set certain users as administrators?
>
> Sorry if this is all documented somewhere but if it is, I can't find it..

It's all documented in the Samba HOWTO and ref guide at :

http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

Also available on dead trees at a bookshop near you !

:-)

Jeremy.