[Samba] home shares and disabled profiles (NET HELPMSG 3916)

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Thu Sep 29 11:17:26 GMT 2005

José M. Fandiño wrote:

>>If you want to disable roaming profiles *but* want to use 'net use ?:
>>/HOME', then remove 'logon home =' from smb.conf to using defaults for
>>home dir or set it to anything usefull for your needs.
> confirmed, by removing 'logon home =' completely disables profiles
> with XPpro (SP2) and Win98 SE. The documentation wrongly states
> that 'logon home =' must be left in blank.

No, sorry. This is _not_ correct. I will explain it better:

You have disabled the profiles only with 'logon path =', because the var
is blank. Verify it with

mg2 # testparm -sv 2> /dev/null | grep 'logon path'
         logon path =

If you remove 'logon path =' from smb.conf, then Samba uses defaults
(roaming profiles enabled). Verify it with

mg2 # testparm -sv 2> /dev/null | grep 'logon path'
         logon path = \\%N\%U\profile

If you set 'logon home =' (blank), then 'net use ?: /HOME' is not
possible. Verify it with

mg2 # testparm -sv 2> /dev/null | grep 'logon home'
         logon home =

If you remove 'logon home =' from smb.conf, then Samba uses defaults
('net use ?: /HOME' enabled). Verify it with

mg2 # testparm -sv 2> /dev/null | grep 'logon home'
         logon home = \\%N\%U

der tom