[Samba] Print Sharing problems. (Samba/CUPS, windows client)

Mark Dorset mdorset at trinity.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Sep 21 02:02:18 GMT 2005

Hi,

I've spent way too many hours trying to make this work and have hit a
wall. Hoping that someone can provide me with the clue that resolves
this issue....

I'm unable to print from a domain connected windows XP client to our
samba server, apparently due to credential/access restrictions.

The Samba Server is running on Debian linux, and is version 3.0.14a.
It's LDAP integrated and runs as a domain master. It has been
operational as a file sharing server for quite some time without
issue, but not used as a PDC previously. We're looking to migrate
users from an existing Windows PDC for a soon to be de-commissioned
domain to the new domain on this samba server, and one of the
requirements is to setup shared printing.

We have CUPS setup and have configured the smb.conf correctly as far
as I can tell. (see attached testparm output below for config details)

Most of the client testing has been done with Windows XP, but I've
also done some testing with Win2k as well to make sure it's not
machine/OS version specific, and it's not.

The clients join the domain just fine. They are able to browse file
shares without issue. Adding a printer is not successful though -
gives access denied type messages and/or a pop up window which states
that "The credentials supplied are not sufficient to access the
printer. Do you want to specify the credentials?". If you try to
enter one of the samba administrator account details manually at this
point, it says "Windows could not connect to the printer. Operation
could not be completed".

 From the CUPS side, I am able to print test pages to an LDR/LPD
printer just fine. I'm also able to add the printer as a 'Windows
Printer' on a Mac OS X 10.4 machine, choose the samba server, then
one of the listed printers, and then print to that printer without
issue.

I've done googling, I've searched through my archive of samba list
mails, I've upgraded the samba server (it was running samba_3.0.9 but
I upgraded to the current debian package in my efforts to make things
work).

Please, any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated! I'll be
happy to provide any further data as requested if it will assist :-).

regards,
Mark

testparm output;

=-=-=
$ testparm
Processing section "[HOMES]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[profile]"
Processing section "[groups]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = STAFF
         netbios name = STAFF
         server string = Staff
         obey pam restrictions = Yes
         passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://trinity.unimelb.edu.au/
         syslog = 0
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         max log size = 1000
         printcap name = cups
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w %u
         logon script = %U.bat
         logon path = \\STAFF\profile\%U
         logon drive = E:
         logon home = \\STAFF\%U\.win_profile\%m
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 33
         domain master = Yes
         dns proxy = No
         wins support = Yes
         ldap admin dn =
uid=sambaadmin,ou=pseudoaccounts,dc=trinity,dc=unimelb,dc=edu,dc=au
         ldap group suffix = ou=Group
         ldap idmap suffix = ou=People
         ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
         ldap suffix = dc=trinity,dc=unimelb,dc=edu,dc=au
         ldap ssl = no
         ldap user suffix = ou=People
         panic action = /home/samba/panic-action %d
         idmap uid = 15000-20000
         idmap gid = 15000-20000
         invalid users = root
         admin users = administrator, mdorset