[Samba] Print Sharing problems. (Samba/CUPS, windows client)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 21 02:19:37 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 12:02 +1000, Mark Dorset wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  From the CUPS side, I am able to print test pages to an LDR/LPD
> printer just fine. I'm also able to add the printer as a 'Windows
> Printer' on a Mac OS X 10.4 machine, choose the samba server, then
> one of the listed printers, and then print to that printer without
> issue.
>
> I've done googling, I've searched through my archive of samba list
> mails, I've upgraded the samba server (it was running samba_3.0.9 but
> I upgraded to the current debian package in my efforts to make things
> work).
>
> Please, any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated! I'll be
> happy to provide any further data as requested if it will assist :-).
>
> regards,
> Mark
>

> testparm output;
>
> =-=-=
> $ testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[HOMES]"
> Processing section "[netlogon]"
> Processing section "[profile]"
> Processing section "[groups]"
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[print$]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>          printcap name = cups
>          add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w %u
>          printer admin = @it
>          printing = cups
>          print command =
>          lpq command = %p
>          lprm command =
----
This is what I use, YMMV

        printing = cups
        printcap = cups
        show add printer wizard = yes
        printer admin = @"Domain Administrators"
        use client driver = no

----

> [printers]
>          comment = All Printers
>          path = /var/spool/samba
>          create mask = 0700
>          guest ok = Yes
>          printable = Yes
>          browseable = No
>
> [print$]
>          comment = Printer Drivers
>          path = /etc/samba/drivers
>          write list = administrator, mdorset
----
again, this is what I use, YMMV

[printers]
        comment = Network Printers
        printer admin = @"Print Operators"
        path = /home/filesystems/printing/spool/
        guest ok = yes
        printable = yes
        writable = no
        read only  = Yes

[print$]
        path = /home/filesystems/printing/printers
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = Yes
        read only = Yes
        printer admin = root Administrator