[Samba] AD Authentication help please?

Jason Gerfen jason.gerfen at scl.utah.edu
Tue Sep 20 19:34:53 GMT 2005

When joining the samba box to a domain:

%> net ads join -U <username>
%> kinit Admin at DOMAIN.COM
%> net ads join -U <username> <LDAP/AD Container of users>

The last command fails and when doing an strace you can clearly see that
it is expecting an Organizational Unit (OU) vs. a Common Name (CN) which
is where the users I need to authenticate are currently residing.

Do I need to move these to an OU vs. a CN?  Here is the strace output I
am refering to:

%> strace -o tmp net ads join -U "Admin" "users"

(only inclusing pertinant lines with searching for container to map to)

write(6, "0C\2\1\5c>\4\36ou=users,dc=DOMAIN,dc=COM"..., 69) = 69  <--
here is the hard coded ou, I am not 100% familiar with the LDAP RFC but
on a windows Active Directory there are CN and OU containers

See how it is appending the OU=USERS?

--
Jason Gerfen

"My girlfriend threated to