[Samba] Fax modems and Samba

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Oct 30 07:27:01 GMT 2005

>> David Maier told me on 10/29/2005 02:56:
>>
>>> I am running an FC 2 server with Samba 3.0.10.  It is serving files
>>> and is PDC for several WinXp workstations.  There is now a demand to
>>> be able to fax from the WinXP workstations, and I'm trying to figure
>>> the best way to set up a modem pool on the server and make them
>>> available to the workstations.  Is that best handled as some kind of
>>> resource share through Samba?  How would that be configured?  I
>>> haven't found any documentation about that.
>>>
>>> If not Samba, is there another Linux program that would make server
>>> modems available to WinXP workstations?

IMHO you won't do it like that (i.e., "a printer which is really a fax").

One thing missing is the fact that each fax need a telephone number
associated with it, which would be hard to extract from the document.

Perhaps it would be possible, if the document was named with a naumber
(i.e., a fax number)?

There are some solution based on hylafax and/or asterisk, where you send
an email with a tiff or pdf attachment, and "the fax system" gets the
telephone number from the subject, converts the attachment to the right
format, and sends it.

Currently I'm working on one (which needs asterisk, though).

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org