[Samba] Migration from Windows 2003 server to samba 3

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Fri Oct 28 18:53:36 GMT 2005

To my knowledge, it's not possible to migrate the passwords from Windows
to Samba, and vice-versa. This is because Windows and Linux both use
one-way hashes to encrypt the password; there's no way to decrypt the
password. Unfortunately, Windows and Linux use different algorithms to
encrypt the password, so you can't just copy the encrypted password
between systems, like you could if you were going Windows-to-Windows or
Linux-to-Linux.

What I'd recommend is assigning the passwords on paper ahead of time,
getting them out to people with appropriate instructions , and then
requiring the password be changed at the first logon once you go live
with it.

(Sample instructions: "You have been assigned the temporary password of
RgYx7e# -- you must use this temporary password on or after
such-and-such date; after this date your old password WILL NOT WORK.
When you log in with the temporary password on or after such-and-such
date, you will be required to change it before you will gain access to
your desktop. After you change the password you will use the new
password you create from then on -- your old password and the temporary
password will no longer work")

If I'm wrong, I hope I'll be corrected.

~Jonathan