AW: AW: AW: [Samba] Migration to Samba using external LDAPserver(CLARIFICATION NEEDED)

Pseudomizer Pseudomizer at LoveTalks.de
Tue Oct 25 18:50:20 GMT 2005

Thank you Matthew for this information but you told me what we have already
in place. So every tool you mentioned like rsync, tar, robocopy, xcopy is
already in place to copy the files to maintain the permissions.

The question will be what happens after the copy process? The files are now
copied to the new destination folder and now I have files there where the
owner of the file will be the windows user account who copied the file from
A to B. Assuming that there will be additional entries in the ACLs an
inherit of the permissions will not help here. The files will have entries
associated with specific SIDs.

Will Samba be able to create the mapping to these "old permissions" when one
of the windows users try to access his files or other files?

Regards,

Pseudomizer

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: samba-bounces+pseudomizer=lovetalks.de at lists.samba.org
[mailto:samba-bounces+pseudomizer=lovetalks.de at lists.samba.org] Im Auftrag
von Matthew Easton
Gesendet: Dienstag, 25. Oktober 2005 03:54
An: Pseudomizer
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: [Samba] Migration to Samba using external
LDAPserver(CLARIFICATION NEEDED)

On Oct 24, 2005, at 1:43 PM, Pseudomizer wrote:

> If we would copy the data with simple xcopy or robocopy using e.g.
> an admin
> account from the domain, then the files which will be created have
> which
> owner? Will the permissions still remain?

Other poster mentioned rsync.  That or tar can preserve permissions
as they are in the original file. You can run them over SSH to
transfer files to another server.

Not clear to me from your post whether you will need to run a tool on
windows to move the data around.  If so, there is at least the
windows ssh client called putty
and a win32 port of tar http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/tar.htm
but I suppose that once you tar up the files, you can simply drag
them into a share on the new server and untar them with the -p flag.

Aha.  Now I see you may have some issue mapping the old windows user
to the new linux user uid. You can instead force user and group by
manipulating the attributes of the enclosing directory.
  -- see the earlier thread "[Samba] See inherit user, need inherit
group"