AW: AW: [Samba] Migration to Samba using external LDAP server(CLARIFICATION NEEDED)

Matthew Easton v-vi at trugschluss.org
Tue Oct 25 01:54:24 GMT 2005

On Oct 24, 2005, at 1:43 PM, Pseudomizer wrote:

> If we would copy the data with simple xcopy or robocopy using e.g.
> an admin
> account from the domain, then the files which will be created have
> which
> owner? Will the permissions still remain?

Other poster mentioned rsync.  That or tar can preserve permissions
as they are in the original file. You can run them over SSH to
transfer files to another server.

Not clear to me from your post whether you will need to run a tool on
windows to move the data around.  If so, there is at least the
windows ssh client called putty
and a win32 port of tar http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/tar.htm
but I suppose that once you tar up the files, you can simply drag
them into a share on the new server and untar them with the -p flag.

Aha.  Now I see you may have some issue mapping the old windows user
to the new linux user uid. You can instead force user and group by
manipulating the attributes of the enclosing directory.
  -- see the earlier thread "[Samba] See inherit user, need inherit
group"