[Samba] file permissions with samba shares

Jack Malone jmalone at horizonind.com
Wed Oct 19 15:31:51 GMT 2005

At 09:05 AM 10/19/2005, Josh Kelley wrote:
>On 10/19/05, Jack Malone <jmalone at horizonind.com> wrote:
> > I am wondering if there is a way I can setup permission on
> > directories in the directory that I have setup for samba shares so
> > that no one can move or delete them. The problem I am having of late
> > is that someone from within windows will move the directories around
>
>Denying write permission to the parent directory should prevent
>someone from deleting or moving child directories.
If I do this will that make it where they can not put files into that
directory or not. I'm thinking this is happening with drag an drop of
files from someone that does not know what they are doing or even doing it.

>If that won't work, you might instead try using the audit or
>extd_audit vfs module to log directory moves and deletions.  Then you
>could at least get after the responsible party.
How is this setup, guess I need to see if I find it in the samba docs.

thanks for the reply / info

jack