[Samba] Low Latency and Samba

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 18:29:42 GMT 2005

I'm trying to optimize some servers for "low  latency" and "low jitter". Do
you have a reasonable ideas about specific Samba  options that might affect
those attributes?

In specific, I'm wondering  about the "socket options". I would think
"TCP_NODELAY" would be helpful in  reducing latency.

However, I would also think that increasing the size  of the SO_RCVBUF and
SO_SNDBUF would increase latency (because you would tend to  fill up larger
buffers before writing incoming data to the filesystem, or you  would delay
confirmation of writes going back out to the network).

What  does the "jury of Samba experts" say about TCP_NODELAY and SO_RCVBUF
and  SO_SNDBUF these days? Most documents and default smb.conf files that come
with  distributions have

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192  SO_SNDBUF=8192

Are these considered "magic numbers"?

I just  loaded up the most recent SUSE distribution, SUSE 10, and ITS default
smb.conf  file does not set any socket options at all.

Andy Liebman