[Samba] Samba Speed versus Netatalk from OS X

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 18:31:07 GMT 2005

Does anyone know why, when transferring data via  Gigabit Ethernet from OS X
to Linux (or vice versa), you get about 50-60 MB/sec  with Samba 3.0.X (all
versions I've tried, the rate depending on whether you use  Jumbo Frames) but
you get about 105-110 MB/sec with Apple File Sharing Protocol  and Netatalk
2.03? Is there any inherent reason why Samba goes at about half the  speed?

By the way,  I'm talking about connecting with OS X (10.4.2  -- Tiger)'s
native SMB/CIFS client.

Andy Liebman