[Samba] Re: SAMBA/PDC + LDAP HELP please? => For your profiles.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Oct 7 15:31:06 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 15:51 +0200, Louis van Belle wrote:
> realy,
>
> thank you for notifing me..
>
> but why is this then in the manual
> http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ProfileMgmt.html
> Windows XP Service Pack 1
> There is a security check new to Windows XP (or maybe only Windows XP
> service pack 1).
> It can be disabled via a group policy in the Active Directory. The policy is
> called:
> Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles\
>           Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile Folders
> ( is same as  CompatibleRUPSecurity"=dword:00000001 )
> And yes this is also in SP2.
>
> I used this to avoid problems, and it works for me.
> As i see in the sambalist lots of people have the same problems and
> questions
> so therefor i give them my working config, And this is what i did.
> that of the requiresignorseal / signsecurechannel i didnt know,
> so im going to test this in my 2e office location. thank you voor notifing
> me for that.
>
> the "ExcludeProfileDirs" is used in my default user profile.
> and this are the default directories :
> Geschiedenis, Local Settings, Temp en Temporary Internet Files
>
> default there is also "Local Settings".. and i want these to move also
> in to the profile dir on the server, there are files in i need
> when users move to an other pc.
> for example.
> %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook  (
> extend.dat )
> Stores a reference to which extensions (addins) you have loaded.
>
> %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Credentials
> Contains setting of my users, so i excluded this out of the
> excludeprofiledir
>
> just some comment..
-----
good points - perhaps John Terpstra might want to comment on the
'CompatibleRUPSecurity' registry setting and continuity of this setting.
I haven't bothered with it and haven't had any issues.

I wonder if having some sort of wiki on samba web site wouldn't be
useful for things like logon scripts and registry settings to be
shared/discussed so they had their own longevity and current
appropriateness as email archives don't often reflect the changing
nature of things and sometimes the samba documentation has different
objectives.

Craig

believed to be clean.