[Samba] Basic Setup Problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 27 03:55:07 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 21:39 -0600, Eric Hines wrote:
> At 11/26/05 21:09, you wrote:
> ><snip>

> > > 1) your point is valid about the password; I was following the example
> > > as exactly as I could.
> > > 2) there is no difference between smbclient -L localhost -U root and
> > > lserver0 -U root--both fail with the LOGON_FAILURE message.  It acts
> > > like I've got the user Root set up wrong, somehow; the anonymous look
> > > (smbclient ... -U%) works correctly.  I'm also having trouble getting
> > > in from a Win2k PC and an XP laptop, but I suspect the present problem
> > > underlies that problem.
> > > 3) wins support isn't relevant to this example, but I turned that on,
> > > anyway, and got no change.
> > > 4) my very basic smb.conf, as set up by the example, follows.
> > >
> > > # Samba config file created using SWAT
> > > # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
> > > # Date: 2005/11/26 18:36:19
> > >
> > > # Global parameters
> > > [global]
> > >         workgroup = ASTRA_ENT
> > >         security = SERVER
> >-----
> >s/b       security = user
> >
> >Craig
> >

> I'll bite: why?  I mean, I understand from a security standpoint you're
> right--server level security is suboptimal; however, in the example
> scenario, the "company" was uninterested in security, and security = server
> ought to have been OK--and it was what the example called for.
----
let's keep this on list

security = server # relates to using an NT4 type domain controller for
authentication and should probably be used in conjunction with 'password
server = NET_BIOS_NAME_OF_PDC'

security = user # relates to using local passdb for authentication.

This information should be in both the man pages for smb.conf and in the
samba 'How-To'

The example you are apparently referring to must relate to a scenario
with an existing NT4 type PDC already in place, perhaps for the sample
migration from WinNT4 PDC to samba 3 PDC.
----

> I changed to security = user, and smbclient -L localhost/lserver0 both
> worked correctly.
>
> Now, however, the other problem to which I alluded remains.  I can only get
> into the share from my Win2k or my XP machines as root.  I should be able
> to go right in: guest ok = yes.
----
If I recall correctly, you need some other entries in the general
section...something like

map to guest = Bad User
guest account = 'some_user' # or perhaps not in which case, I think it
defaults to the user 'nobody'

Again, the man pages for smb.conf or the 'How-to' should describe the
usage of these arguments in smb.conf.

Craig

believed to be clean.