[Samba] Basic Setup Problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 27 02:38:33 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 20:22 -0600, Eric Hines wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> This is an embarrassingly basic problem; I'm obviously doing something
> fundamentally wrong.  I'm running SUSE Professional 9.3 and Samba 3.0.13
> (I'm trying to upgrade to 3.0.20b, but I get a dependency error--that's
> another story).
>
> My problem is this: I'm trying to set up John Terpstra's Example 1.2.1 from
> his Samba by Example (I told you this was basic), but when I run smbclient
> -L lerver0 -Uroot%password (the real one), all I get is
> NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE.  smbclient -L localhost U% works
> correctly.  Testparm indicates the smb.conf is at least syntactically
> correct.  ps indicates that smbd and nmbd are both running.  Finally, I've
> confirmed that root is in smbpasswd and has the same password and the
> overall Linux box (I've even reset it in smbpasswd to be sure).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
----
just as a general practice, I would recommend against executing any
command line that has root password in it since it can be retrieved from
history...

smbclient -L localhost -U root
# will prompt you from password and this password would not show up in
history.

Anyway...

is there a difference between?

smbclient -L localhost -U root
and
smbclient -L lerver0 -U root
?

If so, do you have 'wins support = true # or yes' in smb.conf?

If not, try adding it and then restart smb service

Craig

believed to be clean.