[Samba] roaming profiles, not roaming

SAMBA letz_samba at realmspace.com
Tue Nov 22 00:28:18 GMT 2005

I can think of one thing:

Was the profile originally pushed to the server?
      1) set profile to local (not roaming)
      2) log on as user from client desktop (winxp pro or win2k wks) to
         create initial profile.
      3) log off client desktop as user
      4) set profile to roaming
      5) log on same client desktop as admin (acct that is
         member of domain admins)
      6) right click "My Computer", select properties,
      7) select advanced tab.
      8) in "User Profiles" area, select "Settings..."
      9) change type to roaming, click OK (this pushes profile to
server)

Generally I do not like roaming profiles, as (1) log-ons can take
forever, (2) there is no smooth way to automate this, as initial profile
MUST be created on client desktop, (3) incompatibilities between Win2K
and WinXP as settings are different.

A much smoother way is to use Group Policy Objects and redirect desktop,
my documents, local settings, etc. to a folder, e.g.
\\server\userdocs\%username%.  The problem with the later, is that
Favorites are not redirected, but you can do this but created a remote
folder in IE settings, which is in a user home folder, e.g.
\\server\userdocs\%username%\favorites.  It's more complicated, but the
performance gain is there, and there's automation through GPO.  The
favorites is something that MS overlooked. Alternatively you can create
logon/logoff scripts that synchronize something like "C:\Documents and
Settings\letz_samba\Favorites".  With Mozilla Firefox, this is not
needed as bookmarks in in the Application Data folder.

 - joaquin