[Samba] Clarification: Can Windows 'Network Drive' name be changed ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Nov 17 15:42:47 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 15:03 +0000, Gary Roussak wrote:
> I'm afraid not Craig. I already had a comment ("share") for this
> stanza. I know that if I change the comment, I can certainly change
> the "share" bit of the name to something else, but the "Samba <version
> number>" bit after the word "on" doesn't go away.

----
let's keep this on list

My setup (CentOS 4 - an RHEL clone) puts

'comment' on 'server string' in the name field on my WinXP system.

If your experience is different, then the only things that would seem to
account for this could be different compiling options employed by SuSE
or different methodology in the samba versions (I'm some version of
3.0.10).

Of course you can grep the source code for the offending 'string'

Craig

believed to be clean.