[Samba] Strange Behavior with Read Only files 3.0.20b

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Tue Nov 15 22:17:42 GMT 2005

I haven't had a chance to look at the list very carefully for the past few
weeks, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking a question that has recently
been  discussed. I seem to recall there has been some discussion about a similar
situation to the one I am in.

My situation is that I am having an issue  with READ ONLY files -- and seeing
very different behavior with Samba 3.0.20b  versus 3.0.13. Here's a simple
example to show what's happening.

I have  two users called Jim and Bill. They are both members of the Linux
group  "editors". We have a Linux share called "Shared Files", and in that share
are  three directories -- one called "bill", one called "jim" and one called
"common"

We are using the "inherit permissions" feature of Samba in this Share.  And
we are focing all files created by bill and jim to be owned by the group
"editors"  with the SGID.

The "bill" directory is owned by -u bill  -g editors, with permissions
rwxr-s----
The "jim" directory is owned by -u  jim -g editors, with permissions
rwxr-s---
The "common" directory is owned  by -u supervisor -g editors with permissions
rwxrws---

The way we have  set up this Samba share, Jim (working in Windows XP SP2) is
able to move a file  out of HIS "jim" directory and put it into the "common"
directory (where all  members of "editors" have write permission).

Under Samba 3.0.13, Bill can  then move the file out of the "common"
directory and put it in his own "bill"  directory" (where only HE has write
permission).

However, under Samba  3.0.20b, Bill get's an error message saying Access
Denied, the file is Read  Only.

My question is, is the behavior Iwe're seeing with 3.0.20b a BUG?  Is the
behavior from 3.0.13 a BUG. Which behavior will future Samba version be  expected
to follow from here after?

Thanks in advance for your replies (especially the Samba.org folks).

Andy Liebman