[Samba] is this a DNS resolution problem ? bad news

Strebel, Franz R. strebelf at who.int
Tue Nov 15 08:56:41 GMT 2005

>From what I know, if your PDC is on a different subnet, then
the PCs won't be able to see it.  This is a limitation of netbios
and is addressed by having a WINS server.  I haven't followed
your problem entirely but I suppose that now that your server
has 2 interfaces, it is able to listen to another subnet and can
therefore address requests received there.

As for the loopback interface, it is useful for testing if samba
is working from the server itself via smbclient -L localhost for
example.

Regards,
Franz