[Samba] how to migrate to samba-ldap transparently?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Nov 11 05:03:49 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 11:43 -0500, Pablo Chamorro C. wrote:
> We are in the point of change our samba 3.0.5 PDC setup in order to make
> it authenticate its users against openldap 2.3.11.
>
> We already have the openldap server working with all the PDC users data
> and we also have already tested the wanted scenario using an identical PDC
> setuped up with the same SID and its netbios name changed and some PCs for
> testing as domain clients (we outsourced this task).
>
> Somebody of you know if this process can be made transparently without
> rejoin every PC to the domain? how?. We have disabled the roaming profiles
> option.  We have some 100 clients/users.
----
I'm not sure if anyone responded to this today or not.

Nowhere do you say what type of system is currently the PDC and that
probably matters.

There are guides for migrating from Samba 2 PDC and WinNT4 PDC in the
office Samba How-To (see samba.org documentation)

Since you've already set up users, your ability to migrate may be an
issue but you could probably back up the portions of your openldap db,
do a vampire type operation, back that up and merge it all together to
get the machine account info into your openldap db. It's tricky but it
certainly can be done by someone who understands openldap.

Craig

believed to be clean.