[Samba] Guest printing issue using cups

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Mon Nov 7 12:39:46 GMT 2005

Vaughan Roberts escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I am running Samba.3.0.20b_1 on a FC4 box kernel-2.6_13.1 box
> with a mixed set of Win2k, XP clients.
> I want to enable everyone to print to a local printer on the
> Linux box as a guest.  The XP machines can do this, but my Win2k
> machine insists that I log in as a Samba user before it will enable
> me to print.  That's OK when I am logged into it (although
> annoying), as I know what to do, but others find this too difficult
> for them.
> I also suffer from the "Can't become connected user!" error messages,
> though I seem to be able to connect and do what I need...

	Have you tried to use "disable spoolss = yes"? I saw that you
are alreading use "use client driver = yes", in some print servers in
our company we have to use the "disable spoolss" to solve a similar
problem.

	Anyway, there are a couple of considerations to your smb.conf:

> Here are the relevant parts of my smb.conf file.
[...]
> [printers]
> comment = All Printers
> path = /var/spool/samba
> printable = Yes
> guest OK = Yes
> cups options =
> browseable = No
>
> [LJ5MP]
> comment = Raw queue postscript laser printer
> path = /var/spool/samba
> read only = No
> guest only = Yes
> printable = Yes
> printer name = lj5mp
> use client driver = Yes
> share modes = No

	If you check smb.conf manpage you'll find:

       guest only (S)
              If  this parameter is yes for a service, then only guest connec-
              tions to the service are permitted. This parameter will have  no
              effect if guest ok is not set for the service.

              See  the  section  below on  security for more information about
              this option.

              Default: guest only = no

	You have "guest only = Yes" but you don't have "guest ok".

	And I didn't found which security directive you are using.

> Any suggestions as to why this might be happening?

	Hope it helps, kind regards. :-)

- --