[Samba] Guest printing issue using cups

Vaughan Roberts Vaughan at Roberts.name
Sun Nov 6 23:23:13 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am running Samba.3.0.20b_1 on a FC4 box kernel-2.6_13.1 box with a mixed set
of Win2k, XP clients.

I want to enable everyone to print to a local printer on the Linux box as a
guest.  The XP machines can do this, but my Win2k machine insists that I log in
as a Samba user before it will enable me to print.  That's OK when I am logged
into it (although annoying), as I know what to do, but others find this too
difficult for them.

I also suffer from the "Can't become connected user!" error messages, though I
seem to be able to connect and do what I need...

Here are the relevant parts of my smb.conf file.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2005/11/07 09:30:09

[global]
workgroup = ROBERTS
server string = Samba %v on %h
interfaces = eth1, 127.0.0.1
bind interfaces only = Yes
map to guest = Bad User
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
lanman auth = No
client lanman auth = No
client plaintext auth = No
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
smb ports = 139
printcap name = cups
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
ldap ssl = no
idmap uid = some number
idmap gid = some number
valid users = Some users
hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/27, 127.0.0.1
cups options = raw

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes
guest OK = Yes
cups options =
browseable = No

[LJ5MP]
comment = Raw queue postscript laser printer
path = /var/spool/samba
read only = No
guest only = Yes
printable = Yes
printer name = lj5mp
use client driver = Yes
share modes = No

Any suggestions as to why this might be happening?

Best regards,
Vaughan