[Samba] Samba/Ldap as BDC for ADS

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Nov 6 21:25:29 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 09:12 +0100, Patrick blitz wrote:
> I'm sorry if this has been asked a quadrillion times before, but i was just wondering about it:
>
> I know samba can't be a BDC for ADS. I also know that OpenLDAP can sync with a MS ADS Server.

I don't think it can do that to the extent we would require.

> Samba can also auth against both ldap and ADS. so, shoudln't it be possible to use a

> Samba/openLdap server combination as a Local Master kind of think as a type of BDC for an ADS Domain?

No.  Samba3 does not have the technology to be an ADS domain controller.
Samba4 development already has this, and we hope to have a technology
preview soon.

> Or are there hugher obstacles like there beeing no way to tell the windows clients who's their second-in-command master?

There is just a very big gap between Samba3 and what ADS requires of a
DC.

Andrew Bartlett