[Samba] NT4 to Samba 3 domain transfer

Eric Feldhusen efeldhusen at chartermi.net
Tue Nov 1 17:56:03 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 November 2005 01:54, Charles Zealey wrote:
>> I'm in the process of following John's excellent instructions for
>> transfering an NT4 domain to Samba 3.0.20 running on 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 on
>> an Intel box.
>>
>> Most things seem to work fine apart from the transfer of the machine
>> accounts.  These do not get moved because as retrieved from the NT
>> server the name is in upper case and adduser refuses to add names in
>> upper case, so I get the message 'unable to add posix account'.  I
>> presume that adding in lower case will work just as well but there are
>> rather a lot of them and I'd prefer the automated approach.
>>
>> Has anyone solved this before me?
>
> Congratulations - you have been bitten by the paranoid shadow tools.
> Someone made the great decision that no *n*x account should be in upper case.
>
> To get around this you will need to specify a script for the "add machine
> script" that converts the name to lower case before passing it to the
> "useradd" system tool.
>
> - John T.

Not that it affects the above situation, but I thought the shadow tools
in  Redhat Enterprise Server 4 doesn't allow "$" in any user name.  I
end up adding the machine accounts to the unix side without a $, then
editing /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow by hand and adding the $, which when
I then do smbpasswd -m machinename, it does work.   I think it's purely
a problem with the Redhat Enterprise AS 4 servers, since Fedora Core 3,
which RHAS4 is based on, allows it just fine, which works well since it
allows the standard samba "add machine script = " to work.  Any
suggestions or workarounds?

--
Eric Feldhusen
System Administrator     http://www.remc1.org