[Samba] NT4 to Samba 3 domain transfer

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Tue Nov 1 18:22:07 GMT 2005

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 November 2005 01:54, Charles Zealey wrote:
>
>>I'm in the process of following John's excellent instructions for
>>transfering an NT4 domain to Samba 3.0.20 running on 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 on
>>an Intel box.
>>
>>Most things seem to work fine apart from the transfer of the machine
>>accounts.  These do not get moved because as retrieved from the NT
>>server the name is in upper case and adduser refuses to add names in
>>upper case, so I get the message 'unable to add posix account'.  I
>>presume that adding in lower case will work just as well but there are
>>rather a lot of them and I'd prefer the automated approach.
>>
>>Has anyone solved this before me?
>

> Congratulations - you have been bitten by the paranoid shadow tools.
> Someone made the great decision that no *n*x account should be in upper case.

Goes all the way back to the days of teletypwriters and occasional dumb serial
terminals that only knew uppercase.
If the login name came thru to getty all uppercase, than for the
session, uppercase was mapped to lowercase.  This allowed a person to
move around logging in from hi-tech upper/lower case terminals and stupid
uppercase only terminals as the same user.  IBM terminals were a big
offender back then.  Hollerith to EBCDIC.

This probably ought to retire, but it's so implicit in so much legacy code.

Regards, Doug