[Samba] NT4 to Samba 3 domain transfer

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Nov 1 17:00:50 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 01:54, Charles Zealey wrote:
> I'm in the process of following John's excellent instructions for
> transfering an NT4 domain to Samba 3.0.20 running on 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 on
> an Intel box.
>
> Most things seem to work fine apart from the transfer of the machine
> accounts.  These do not get moved because as retrieved from the NT
> server the name is in upper case and adduser refuses to add names in
> upper case, so I get the message 'unable to add posix account'.  I
> presume that adding in lower case will work just as well but there are
> rather a lot of them and I'd prefer the automated approach.
>
> Has anyone solved this before me?

Congratulations - you have been bitten by the paranoid shadow tools.
Someone made the great decision that no *n*x account should be in upper case.

To get around this you will need to specify a script for the "add machine
script" that converts the name to lower case before passing it to the
"useradd" system tool.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.