[Samba] NT4 to Samba 3 domain transfer

Charles Zealey charles1 at itsolve.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 08:54:04 GMT 2005

I'm in the process of following John's excellent instructions for
transfering an NT4 domain to Samba 3.0.20 running on 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 on
an Intel box.

Most things seem to work fine apart from the transfer of the machine
accounts.  These do not get moved because as retrieved from the NT
server the name is in upper case and adduser refuses to add names in
upper case, so I get the message 'unable to add posix account'.  I
presume that adding in lower case will work just as well but there are
rather a lot of them and I'd prefer the automated approach.

Has anyone solved this before me?

Richard