[Samba] Winbind with NIS

Braden Bill Bill.Braden at thomson.net
Tue May 31 22:45:57 GMT 2005

I am having a little problem understanding the usage of winbind. I am
hoping someone out there can help.

Currently all my engineering people have Unix accounts managed through
NIS.  In addition I have an active directory domain with hundreds of
other users who do not use unix but may need access to samba shares that
live on my unix servers.

I would like to setup winbind such that if a windows user connects to a
samba share and their username and password matches an NIS account they
are given UID, GID and home directory as specified in NIS.  If they do
not match an NIS account then I would like them to get access based on
the winbind parameters.

        winbind uid =
        winbind gid =
        winbind enum users = yes