[Samba] Re: Two Sambas, but the new version is not activ

Andreas Bauer andreas_bauer at arcor.de
Mon May 30 10:52:48 GMT 2005

Paul kölle schrieb:
> How did you start the daemon? You'll have two smbd executables if you
I take the daemon of the new one, samba 3.0.14a...:
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd start
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd start
If I start testparm, he is testing always the samba 3.0.7.. version, not the
started new one?
If I start testparm -V in the directory of the samba 3.0.14a, it comes samba
version 3.0.7...?

> Use the packet manager to uninstall the old one (it shouldn't be a problem
> to have multiple versions installed in different locations though).
Another problem:
In Yast of suse9.2 there is only the old version(3.0.7..), not the new one?
If I want to delete the old one, I get warning error dependencies
messages( inconsistences in your system, if you will delete)? So, delete or
not?
And another problem:
If I want to create an ldapdmin account:
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -w <password>
I get an errormessage:
"permission denied"

The samba 3.0.14a was comiled with the --with-ldapsam option.

Best regards
Andreas