[Samba] Upgrade samba from 2.2.7 to 3.0.14a

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Thu May 26 17:51:41 GMT 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 07:22, Jason Lavetan wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade samba from 2.2.7-security-rollup-fix to 3.0.14a and
> am having some issues.
>
> The server is Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla) with Kernel 2.4.18-3
>
> I have download the samba source, compiled, and installed it, but none of
> my older files seem to be updated.  I noticed that the new version is
> installed to /usr/local/samba but most of the old files are in /usr/bin
> (such as smbpasswd, smbclient, etc.) Do I have to link these files?
>
> Am I missing something??

Documentation! You are missing documentation. Please read the chapter on
Updating/Upgrading Samba in the book "Samba-3 by Example" (aka. Samba-Guide).
It is chapter 8, and your copy is waiting for you at:
	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

Please let me know if we missed anything - it is vitally important that we get
the documentation right.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra