[Samba] Re: sharing NFS mounts

Ben Ransom bransom at ucdavis.edu
Wed May 25 17:19:04 GMT 2005

True, would be good to share both SMB and NFS from the same
server.  However, there is a possible reason to use SMB from NFS client
mount point:  Win clients cannot mount SMB shares of two different user
names on the same box.  I.E., from a Win box I cannot do:
net use \\serverA\home /user:Adomain\john
net use \\serverA\lab    /user:Adomain\labmanager

In my case, 'home' and 'lab' files were historically in different Win
domains anyway, so I moved on to a work-around to the above, where I NFS
mount the 'lab' files from serverA in Adomain to server B in a different
domain, and I can do:
net use \\serverA\home /user:Adomain\john
net use \\serverB\lab  /user:Bdomain\labmanager

I have a small subset of users in both A Bdomain, so the accounts
management is not too cumbersome.  Perhaps there are more elegant solutions
though, serving all from the same SMB+NFS box.

Will look at some of the suggestions as to how to get SMB from NFS mount to
work again now with Samba 3
-Ben Ransom