[Samba] samba with win xp home

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sun May 22 22:04:02 GMT 2005

søn, 22.05.2005 kl. 23.00 skrev Luca Papaleo:

> I've a fedora core 3 system with following situation
>
> 2.6.11-1.14_FC3smp
>
> samba-common-3.0.14a-1
> samba-3.0.14a-1
> samba-client-3.0.14a-1
>
> I have 2 clients win98 and 2 clients winxp home (sp2).
> I've a client pgm installed on the clients and it seems to work correctly.
> But if I try to copy few folders from my winxp clients to the shared linux
> directory after a few of files the copying stop with message similar to the
> following
>
> Error Copying File/Folder
> It is not possible to copy <filename>. The given Network Name is no
> longer available
>
> I've tryed with win98 and my winxp pro laptop and it seems to work
> correctly.
>
> Before fedora c3 there was win2000server and hadn't any error in copying.
>
> I've updated samba from 3.0.10 to 3.014, I've tryed to change server NIC
> card, but I couldn't find solution to problem.

Purely subjective, but it seems to me that there is an abnormal number
of Fedora Core 3 people that are having Windows client stop/start
problems with Samba 3.

I'm running Samba 3.0.11 on RHAS3 at a client site, IBM eSeries x235
with 2GB RAM, RAID5, with 80+ Windows 2000 Prof workstations and the
server runs week in week out with no problems, no reboots, no daemon
restarts, everybody can just work, print, whatever.

I can't seem to gain much confidence in Fedora as production server OS.

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

Eg er bergenser og, eg, men, Trondheims-ordfører Marvin Wiseth:
«Bergenserne er flinke til å gjøre mye ut av lite» (uttalte seg over 17.
mai feiringen iår, men gjelder sannsynligvis og dette mel mitt).