[Samba] some cannot join domain

Chuck Theobald chuckt at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sun May 22 21:59:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have some machines (winXP and win2k) that cannot join my domain.  Others
I have joined to the domain.  I am using the smbldap-tools 0.8.9 with an
add machine script as follows:

         add machine script = /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"

The LDAP entity gets created with objectClasses top, inetOrgPerson, and
posixAccount.  My impression is that samba then comes along and changes the
entity, turning it into an account, sambaSamAccount object.  This process
has succeeded in some four machines I have tried, but other machines fail
this final conversion.  I get an error "The user name could not be found"
at the machine.  All of these machines were joined to the same domain
previously run by Totalnet Advanced Server, so the machines themselves are
configured to be capable of joining.  The only pattern I can discern is
that the machines on which this occurs have names of 8 characters or more,
though a machine that did join the domain has a name of 8 characters, so I
am not sure that this is relevant.

Any ideas as to where I can look to begin to track this down?  I can
manually create the machine accounts, but am leary of doing so due to the
requirement of having unique SIDs.

Thanks,

Chuck Theobald
System Administrator
The Robert and Beverly Lewis Center for Neuroimaging
University of Oregon
P: 541-346-0343
F: 541-346-0345