[Samba] excessive TCP retransmissions with samba 3.0, slow file opening RESOLVED

AragonX aragonx at dcsnow.com
Sat May 21 10:39:50 GMT 2005

<quote who="Jeremy Anderson">
> Yeah, SMB is so blame chatty, and so impatient, that it just cacks
> on a hub.  I'd never have believed it before, but when they can
> get a 24-port 10/100 DLink switch for $91 from newegg (shipped!), why
> mess around with technician time?  At typical consultant bill rates,
> that switch will cost them less than an hour of technician time.

Although a new switch did not fix my problem, it greatly improved
performance (2x speed).  A 90 second load time for my client's primary
application is still not acceptable though.  I have yet to load a network
sniffer to see what else might be going on.

The funny thing is, everything worked fine when the box was Redhat 7.
When I upgraded to FC3 the issue started.  I wonder what changed.  So many
possibilities.