[Samba] excessive TCP retransmissions with samba 3.0, slow file opening RESOLVED

Jeremy Anderson jeremy at angelar.com
Fri May 20 03:50:21 GMT 2005

Eric Wood wrote:

> I have followed this thread and believe I'm suffering from the same
> problem. File copying is terribly slow on one of my customers networks.
> The 8-port hub (which is plugged into a larger network switch) is a
> no-name piece of junk.  However is worked fine when only network
> printers (jetdirects) was on it.  Now that a windows XP box is on that
> hub, performance went down hill and I even get errors in the syslog
> about failed smb gethostnames or something like that.
>
> -Eric Wood

Yeah, SMB is so blame chatty, and so impatient, that it just cacks
on a hub.  I'd never have believed it before, but when they can
get a 24-port 10/100 DLink switch for $91 from newegg (shipped!), why
mess around with technician time?  At typical consultant bill rates,
that switch will cost them less than an hour of technician time.

I bet if you fire up ethereal on that hub, you'll see plenty of TCP
retransmits...
--
Jeremy Anderson		jeremy (at) angelar.com
http://www.angelar.com/~jeremy