[Samba] excessive TCP retransmissions with samba 3.0, slow file opening RESOLVED

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Fri May 20 03:43:53 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "John H Terpstra"
> On Thursday 19 May 2005 20:53, Jeremy Anderson wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to thank everyone for the help with this problem.  Replacing
>> the two Ethernet hubs with a single Ethernet switch seems to have
>> resolved the problem.  The two hubs were actually hot to the touch
>> when I looked at them.  I wouldn't have guessed that hardware would
>> affect just a single protocol, but it looks like only SMB was
>> chatty enough to overload the failing hubs.
>
> I heard of a site that replaced the server because of performance problems
> caused by a $50 HUB. It is not as uncommon as you might think. The problem
> is
> that so few people will believe the story - and that means most will
> repeat
> the learning! Thanks for sharing the outcome with those of us who already
> believe. :-)

I have followed this thread and believe I'm suffering from the same problem.
File copying is terribly slow on one of my customers networks.  The 8-port
hub (which is plugged into a larger network switch) is a no-name piece of
junk.  However is worked fine when only network printers (jetdirects) was on
it.  Now that a windows XP box is on that hub, performance went down hill
and I even get errors in the syslog about failed smb gethostnames or
something like that.

-Eric Wood