[Samba] excessive TCP retransmissions with samba 3.0, slow file opening RESOLVED

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Fri May 20 03:12:57 GMT 2005

On Thursday 19 May 2005 20:53, Jeremy Anderson wrote:

> I'd like to thank everyone for the help with this problem.  Replacing
> the two Ethernet hubs with a single Ethernet switch seems to have
> resolved the problem.  The two hubs were actually hot to the touch
> when I looked at them.  I wouldn't have guessed that hardware would
> affect just a single protocol, but it looks like only SMB was
> chatty enough to overload the failing hubs.

I heard of a site that replaced the server because of performance problems
caused by a $50 HUB. It is not as uncommon as you might think. The problem is
that so few people will believe the story - and that means most will repeat
the learning! Thanks for sharing the outcome with those of us who already
believe. :-)

- John T.