[Samba] Users' Profiles

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed May 18 05:21:53 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 10:18 +0800, Doug Campbell wrote:
> > I am having an issue with users' profiles under the SAMBA
> > environment.  The
> > users would be using a Windows XP Pro workstation that is under the SAMBA
> > domain.  Ever since SAMBA was implemented, I would have to recreate users'
> > profiles intermittently.  Whenever this happens, the users would be prompt
> > with an error message which states that it is "unable to log onto
> > the local
> > profile" and it would eventually create a temporary profile when
> > logging in.
> > Just this morning, I made the attempt to just reboot the workstation when
> > the issue happened again.  Surprisingly, it worked and I did not have to
> > recreate the user's profile.  Do you happen to know why? What do I need to
> > do to prevent this issue from happening again?
>
> I don't think this is a Samba issue as I have had this occur with our Win2K
> server and XP Pro clients as well.  Don't know what causes it but rebooting
> the workstation seems to take care of the problem.
----
hardly the type of investigative problem solving that inspires
confidence in the system administrator...

I have seen several instances when Microsoft stuff such as Outlook or
Windows Media Player creates files like prf99999.tmp and these files are
poisonous to loading a roaming profile (substitute other numbers for the
99999).

Craig