[Samba] Users' Profiles

Doug Campbell doug at bpta.net
Wed May 18 06:27:45 GMT 2005

> > > I am having an issue with users' profiles under the SAMBA
> > > environment.  The
> > > users would be using a Windows XP Pro workstation that is
> under the SAMBA
> > > domain.  Ever since SAMBA was implemented, I would have to
> recreate users'
> > > profiles intermittently.  Whenever this happens, the users
> would be prompt
> > > with an error message which states that it is "unable to log onto
> > > the local
> > > profile" and it would eventually create a temporary profile when
> > > logging in.
> > > Just this morning, I made the attempt to just reboot the
> workstation when
> > > the issue happened again.  Surprisingly, it worked and I did
> not have to
> > > recreate the user's profile.  Do you happen to know why? What
> do I need to
> > > do to prevent this issue from happening again?
> >
> > I don't think this is a Samba issue as I have had this occur
> with our Win2K
> > server and XP Pro clients as well.  Don't know what causes it
> but rebooting
> > the workstation seems to take care of the problem.
> ----
> hardly the type of investigative problem solving that inspires
> confidence in the system administrator...
>
> I have seen several instances when Microsoft stuff such as Outlook or
> Windows Media Player creates files like prf99999.tmp and these files are
> poisonous to loading a roaming profile (substitute other numbers for the
> 99999).

If you were having the same problem that I had, that won't help since I
wasn't using roaming profiles.  I was using folder redirection but that
won't cause the prf .tmp files to be created since a profile is not being
synchronized.  I guess it is possible that the problem is caused by a bad
nic but I can't say whether that was my problem since I switched server
hardware shortly after the problem occured and haven't seen it since.  No
reason to bother investigating something that isn't there any more.

I do stand by the point of my original response though by simple stating
that I don't believe this problem is caused by something inherent in Samba.

Doug