[Samba] Users' Profiles

George Salcedo salcedo at spawar.navy.mil
Tue May 17 17:03:39 GMT 2005

Hi

I am having an issue with users' profiles under the SAMBA environment.  The
users would be using a Windows XP Pro workstation that is under the SAMBA
domain.  Ever since SAMBA was implemented, I would have to recreate users'
profiles intermittently.  Whenever this happens, the users would be prompt
with an error message which states that it is "unable to log onto the local
profile" and it would eventually create a temporary profile when logging in.
Just this morning, I made the attempt to just reboot the workstation when
the issue happened again.  Surprisingly, it worked and I did not have to
recreate the user's profile.  Do you happen to know why? What do I need to
do to prevent this issue from happening again?

I have pasted the "smb.conf" file below.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2004/06/10
# Version: 1

# Global parameters
[global]
        ; the name of the Samba server and the workgroup
        netbios name = <hostname>
        workgroup = <domain name>
        encrypt passwords = yes
        domain master = yes
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        os level = 255
        security = user
        domain logons = yes

        ; logon path tells Samba where to put Windows XP roaming profiles
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon drive = H:

        time server = yes

        ; add user/machine accounts
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u %g
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u %g
        add machine script = /user/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u

        ; Backend to store user information
        passdb backend = tdbsam

[netlogon]