[Samba] Win2k ADS and winbind concerns

Benton Lam calyth at gmail.com
Tue May 17 16:37:16 GMT 2005

I'm helping to migrate the file/print server into a *nix box running
some from of Samba >3.0.9. Site supports <100 machines running a mix
of win2k and winxppro.
I was reading the HOWTO, and figure that the samba domain member
server would need to authenticate user through the PDC, and I'd need
to set up winbind. I don't want to tie the server down with IDMAP_RID
because I'm only temporary and won't be in charge of the server once
I'm done.
Would using LDAP to store the IDMAP stuff the right path, and is there
any gotchas that I need to look out for?
Incidentally, I would try and setup a test network soon, but it's
always reassuring to hear from prior experience.