[Samba] Horrendously slow transfer speeds in FC3 is driving me crazy!!! Please help...

Peter Szmrecsanyi peter at totallinux.com.br
Mon May 16 13:52:27 GMT 2005

The desktop had FC1 on it, and I only mentioned it because I did the
test initially on that one before realising that the OS version was
different! But the results were the same as on my laptop which has FC3
installed and a similar configuration to the ProLiant, so I decided top
mention it. The smb.conf file was the same. The only major difference is
that on teh ProLiant I use XFS filesystem where as on the Desktop and
Laptop I use EXT3, but XFS is theoretically faster so I can't see that
that hindering the performance.

I have a 100Mbps network, which can yeild a maximum tranfer rate of 12
MB/s, if you take the TCP/IP subsystem overhead into account you'll
realise that more than 11 MB/s is bearing on the impossible. Using both
the desktop and the laptop I got nearlly 11 MB/s, one was 10,11 the
other was 10,72. Using FTP I got 9,96 and 9,69. With the proliant I get
a max of 1.6 MB/s, the same as I get with my IBM machine (acting as a
firewal/gateway) which has RedHat 7.2...

I see your point about the file size, a 4 GB file would give a better
overall benchmark, but I used a file smaller than the RAM on purpose, I
wanted to measure how fast I could read the file from the server, and
not have to worry about writting the file on the other end. Admitedly I
don't think it would matter as bothe the laptop and the desltop have
disk which are much faster, but just in case...

I quite convinced that my problem isn't software, for if it was I should
have gotten a lot more variation (on the transfer rate) when I tried
diferent variations of samba... I'll resume my testing when I install a
new NIC on the ProLiant, if that doesn't do it then I'll try a diferent OS.

Peter.