[Samba] Horrendously slow transfer speeds in FC3 is driving me crazy!!! Please help...

AragonX aragonx at dcsnow.com
Mon May 16 11:52:57 GMT 2005

<quote who="Peter Szmrecsanyi">
> OK, I've done the tests I'd said I'd do and here are the results... The
> tests were simple, set up a samba share on the computers in question and
> use
> a windows PC and a Linux (smbclient) PC to read a 350 MB files of the
> share:
>
> Setting up a samba server (to share files) on both my notebook (FC3 w/
> Samba
> 3.0.10) and my desktop computer (P4 w/ 512 MB of RAM, FC1 w/ Samba 3.0.7)
> yielded transfer rates better than in Windows (both are dual boot) and
> very
> surprisingly slightly better than FTP, I was amazed!!!
>
> Installing Samba 3.0.14a on the ProLiant 2500 without ACL support did not
> make any difference on the transfer rate. Removing samba 3 and installing
> version 2.2.12 actually worsened the transfer rate by 25%!

Wait, I'm confused.  Did you use different versions of Fedcora Core?  If
so, that makes the test results somewhat suspect.  I would suggest
installing FC3 on all the systems involved and make sure they are all
updated to the same versions.  Also make sure you are using the same or
very similar Samba configurations.

Once you do that, you can pretty much exclude software issues.  I also
suggest shutting down any services that are not involved in the test
before benchmarking.  Finally, I suggest benchmarking with a much larger
file (I usually use a 4gb .tar.gz).  The reason is, with a 350mb file,
much (if not all) of the file can be cached in RAM and thus not really
testing your drive subsystem.  I've found that my test results are much
more predictable with the large file as opposed to when I was using a
smaller file.

I realize it's a lot of work to do a fresh FC install on all the machines
but you really do have an odd issue.

Also, what was the speeds you got with all your machines?