[Samba] Re: roaming profiles problem for new users

John H Terpstra jht at Samba.Org
Tue May 10 23:26:16 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 15:47, Jon Wilson wrote:
> Eric Hines wrote:
> > This isn't entirely fair.  There are three kinds of newbies [....]
> > The third kind has read the docs and still has a problem, else they
> > wouldn't be on the mailing list looking for help.
>
> I don't think the word "newbie" applies, sorry guys. I've been using
> unix since about 1991 and Samba since the early 2.x releases. I believe
> I had a geniune problem, and is now solved.
>
> My "logon path" setting was quoted, and thus broken. OK, the docs now
> say NOT to do this, but the quoted setting worked fine on the previous
> (FreeBSD) installation. Should I be expected to trawl through every
> documentation change related to every possible explanation of my
> problem? I think not. I asked on the list, got some example configs
> which were known to work, and compared them closely. Problem solved.
> Thank you.
>
> What the docs do not say is that "logon path" seems to be used only in
> the creation of new profiles. Existing users have their profile path
> configured in the tdb database, and so thinks worked fine for them.
> Someone with a clearer understanding of the internals may wish to submit
> some documentation on how all this is meant to work.
>
> Jon

I have expanded the warning in the man page for this section so that the
apparent tatoo effect is better documented. Thanks for the feedback.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member