[Samba] Question about LDAP migration...

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Tue May 10 16:53:33 GMT 2005

Yesterday I started to build a test network to evaulate our planned move to
Samba 3.0.14 and Debian.  I started off by duplicating our LDAP directory.
On the exisiting Samba PDC/LDAP master machine, I did:

slapcat -v -l old.ldif

I put the 'old.ldif' file onto a floppy disk, went to the lab's server and
performed

slapadd -v -l /media/floppy/old.ldif

The process stopped on the "Administrator" user complaining about error No.
65, "No Structural Object Class Provided".  I took a look at the LDIF file
and compared my normal user account to that of the Administrator account.
The only difference between the two were the following lines:

objectClass: top
objectClass: account

Both of these lines were missing from the Administrator account's
definition.  I was able to add just the 'objectClass: account' line to the
definition and the import process worked fine after that.

My question is this:  My existing LDAP directory doesn't have thais
definition and I'm able to use the Administrator account without problems.
So, why am I getting this error?  Additionally, what impact will this change
have (if any)?

The unmodified Administrator LDAP definition:

dn: uid=Administrator,ou=Users,dc=nesbitt,dc=local
cn: Administrator
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: sambaSamAccount
gidNumber: 512
uid: Administrator
homeDirectory: /home/
loginShell: /bin/false
gecos: Netbios Domain Administrator
sambaPrimaryGroupSID: S-1-5-21-3325760187-3909277049-4208064797-512
sambaPwdMustChange: 2147483647
sambaAcctFlags: [U          ]
sambaHomePath: \\stargazer\homes
sambaProfilePath: \\stargazer\profiles
sambaLogonTime: 0
sambaLogoffTime: 2147483647
sambaKickoffTime: 2147483647
sambaHomeDrive: H:
sambaLMPassword: [ *** REMOVED *** ]
sambaNTPassword: [ *** REMOVED *** ]
sambaSID: S-1-5-21-3325760187-3909277049-4208064797-1000
uidNumber: 0
sambaPwdCanChange: 1078782115
sambaPwdLastSet: 1078782115
modifiersName: cn=Manager,dc=nesbitt,dc=local
modifyTimestamp: 20040308214155Z
userPassword:: [ *** REMOVED *** ]

--
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE