AW: [Samba] REPOST No 3 - Browsing Problem on Samba 3.0.14 PLEASE HELP!!!

Christoph Herdeg c.herdeg at web.de
Mon May 9 09:16:51 GMT 2005

Hi Doug

Thank you for answering. Yep - it's quite bizarre...I know. I'd never posted
if it wasn't: sorry, but I wasn't asked. The funny thing is that I can
access the _same_ Samba-Server from every real machine without any problems
and also from the Linux-Host that runs the VMware-boxes.

Today I upgraded VMware to 5.0, just to give it a try. The result let me at
least recognize that my problem has something to do with VMware: Now I can
no longer access folders three layers deep. I authenticate against and
connect to the share, open a windows-explorer and click on the mapped drive.
I can see the share's contents, but any click anywhere on it makes the
explorer stall for 'bout 1-5 minutes (different). I get the same error-msg
as before the VMware-upgrade.

Some more information:
- My W2K3 Domain Controller is the Master Browser, AD, GP and everything
else working
- DNS is configured correctly and working
- smb.conf sets encrypted passwords, NTLMv2 only, security=Domain,
schannel=no
- Samba 3.0.14a-SerNet-Debian on a Debian Sarge from summer 2004
- all that was working perfectly until an uncertain day two weeks ago

I know this crap sounds strange - but it's my situation here. If I can't get
the problem solved, I'll reinstall the server when Sarge is final (hopefully
it will be final before HURD, they talk 'bout "this may"...). But it was a
pain in da a**, if I wasn't able to find another solution. If you need my
smb.conf, just tell.

Regards, Chris