[Samba] REPOST No 3 - Browsing Problem on Samba 3.0.14 PLEASE HELP!!!

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Sun May 8 17:03:33 GMT 2005

Christoph Herdeg wrote:

>Hello Experts,
>
>I have a severe Problem with my current samba installations. Here in my
>Home-Office networt I have a dual-CPU machine with Debian Sarge, hosting
>some samba 3.0 shares and as well being a host for 4 vmware-sessions (Vmware
>Workstation v4.52, with 3xServer2003 and 1xXPpro). As well I have a separate
>raid5-server with samba 3.0 in the exakt same configuration (of course all
>parameters except the hostname etc.).
>
>>From all "real" machines in my network I am able to access all samba shares
>without any hassle.
>
>But if I try to use a samba share from one of the vmware-machines (which are
>connected to the network using the "bridged network" config), I will be able
>to connect to it and to see the three upmost levels of the contained folders
>and files (like \\Servername\Sharename\1stLevel\2ndLevel\3rdLevel ).
>
>But if I then try to access the "3rdLevel"-Folder, it takes minutes and
>finally gives an error like "no access to 3rdLevel, you eventually don't
>have the right to access this ressource...bla...bla...The network name is no
>longer available". This happens if I try to access the share by connecting
>it to al local driveletter as well when trying to type
>\\Servername\Sharename to explorer-windows - no difference in behaviour.
>
>The funny thing is, that I can access the share on the raid5-server without
>any problems from everywhere.
>
>Does anyone 'round here experience the same problem and does anyone have a
>quick solution?

I don't have the problem.
This about my deepest path into Samba version 3.0.15pre2-SVN-build-6319
\\gate\download\linux\daemons\ldap\padl\xad_oss_plugins-40\idmap_ad
This is on vmware 4.5.2 build 8848, bridged ethernet, vlance virtual device.
Running a 2003 Enterprise server SP1
AMD PCNET Family PCI Eth
linux 2.4.20-28.9smp, basically RH9, kerberos & gcc are homebrew.

Three folders down sounds pretty bizarre.  Maybe you're using the vmxnet
virtual device?  I had some issues with that if my memory serves me
correctly.
Regards, Doug