[Samba] strange problems with permissions

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Wed May 4 18:20:43 GMT 2005

On Wednesday May 4 2005 2:00 pm, John Joseph Bachir wrote:
> Hello. If anyone can point me in the right direction on this problem I
> would be very greatful. I was hoping there was a "newbie" list but
> didn't see one. If there is a more appropriate list for this question,
> please let me know.
>
> I am running samba on linux, with mac and windows clients using two
> different samba shares, one password protected and one with no
> password. Once in a while, we get strange permissions problems. In
> particular, a user who uses Quickbooks and keeps their data on the
> server. Quickbooks often thinks that the file is in use by someone
> else, and we know this is not the case. I haven't done enough testing
> to see what exactly causes the problem. I suspect it is some
> combination of Quickbooks being open while the computer goes to sleep
> and wakes up, or changing from wired to wireless networks.
>
> Today, everyone on the network said that they couldn't write anything
> to the shares, only read. I rebooted the server and everything was
> back to normal.
>
> We will go for for extended periods with no problems, and then get
> problems like this.
>
> Below is the specs of the setup and the samba configuration. Let me
> know if you would like any more details.
>
> ----------
> Linux 2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Feb 9 22:26:51 EST 2004 i686 i686
> i386 GNU/Linux
>
> smbd Version 3.0.14a
>
> ----------
>
> $ testparm
> Load smb config files from /usr/lib/smb.conf
> Processing section "[clp]"
> Processing section "[managers]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = CLPMAIN
>         server string = samba server
>         security = SHARE
>         password server = None
>         guest account = clp
>         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>         max log size = 50
>         keepalive = 0
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>         printcap name = /etc/printcap
>         dns proxy = No
>         guest ok = Yes
>         hosts allow = 192.168.1., 192.168.2., 127.
>         hide files = /._*/.DS_Store/
>         veto oplock files = /*.xls/
>
> [clp]
>         comment = CLP Home
>         path = /home/clpmain
>         read only = No
>
> [managers]
>         comment = CLP Managers
>         path = /home/managers
>         read only = No
>         guest ok = No

There are others much more knowledgeable than I, but I would suggest:

in the global section, you add "encrypt passwords = yes".  I also think you
need to specify a password server.

for the public (non-protected) share, you might want to add "public = yes" and
"writable = yes".  For the private (non-protected) share, I'd add "valid
users = jdoe joeblowjr etc" and "public = no" and "writable = yes".

Those are things I can think of off-the-bat.  The real gurus will probably be
able to help you with the availability issue.

Dimitri