[Samba] strange problems with permissions

John Joseph Bachir johnjosephbachir at gmail.com
Wed May 4 18:00:44 GMT 2005

Hello. If anyone can point me in the right direction on this problem I
would be very greatful. I was hoping there was a "newbie" list but
didn't see one. If there is a more appropriate list for this question,
please let me know.

I am running samba on linux, with mac and windows clients using two
different samba shares, one password protected and one with no
password. Once in a while, we get strange permissions problems. In
particular, a user who uses Quickbooks and keeps their data on the
server. Quickbooks often thinks that the file is in use by someone
else, and we know this is not the case. I haven't done enough testing
to see what exactly causes the problem. I suspect it is some
combination of Quickbooks being open while the computer goes to sleep
and wakes up, or changing from wired to wireless networks.

Today, everyone on the network said that they couldn't write anything
to the shares, only read. I rebooted the server and everything was
back to normal.

We will go for for extended periods with no problems, and then get
problems like this.

Below is the specs of the setup and the samba configuration. Let me
know if you would like any more details.

----------
Linux 2.4.21-9.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Feb 9 22:26:51 EST 2004 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

smbd Version 3.0.14a

----------

$ testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[clp]"
Processing section "[managers]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = CLPMAIN
        server string = samba server
        security = SHARE
        password server = None
        guest account = clp
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        keepalive = 0
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        dns proxy = No
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.1., 192.168.2., 127.
        hide files = /._*/.DS_Store/
        veto oplock files = /*.xls/

[clp]
        comment = CLP Home